The University of Santo Tomas, through the Office of Alumni Relations and the UST Alumni Association, Inc. will be honoring exemplary Thomasian alumni in the 2016 The Outstanding Thomasian Alumni (TOTAL) Awards on November 18, 5:30 p.m. at the Dr. Robert Sy Grand Ballroom of the Buenaventura G. Paredes, O.P. Building, España, Manila.
A total of 28 awardees from different fields and specializations will be conferred with the prestigious TOTAL Award. Two special awards, the Young Thomasian Achiever Award and the Outstanding Thomasian Family will also be given.
Here is the complete list of awardees per category:
- Mr. J. Carlitos G. Cruz (BSC Accountancy, 1981)—Accountancy
- Arch. Carmelo T. Casas (BS Architecture, 1976)—Architecture
- Arch. Edgar V. Reformado (BS Architecture, 1957)—Architecture
- Mr. Enrico L. Torres (BSC Business Administration, 1988; PhD Commerce, 1998)—Management
- Ms. Elena Mari Ginia R. Domingo (Grade School, 1977; High School, 1981; BSC Economics, 1985)—Business
- Engr. Carmela R. Centeno (BS Chemical Engineering, 1992)—Ecological / Environment Conservation
- Prof. Allan B. De Guzman (BSE Computer Education, 1993; MA Education, 1996; PhD Education, 1999)—Education
- Engr. Rolando R. Evangelista (BS Mechanical Engineering, 1980)—Engineering Practice
- Dr. Carlito E. Balita (BS Nursing, 1991)—Entrepreneurship
- Hon. Aurelio M. Umali (AB Political Science, 1986)—Government / Public Service
- Dr. Salvador L. Abiera (BS Physical Therapy; MD, 1983)—Health-Allied
- Dr. Raul V. Destura (BS Microbiology, 1992)—Health-Allied
- Dr. Reynaldo L. Lee-Llacer (MD, 1958)—Health-Medical
- Dr. Juan P. Sanchez, Jr. (BS General Medicine, 1976; MD, 1980)—Health-Medical
- Ms. Cristina C. Hendrix (BS Nursing, 1991)—Health-Nursing
- Ms. Amelia B. Rosales (BS Nursing, 1966)—Health-Nursing
- Dr. Apolonio L. Lasala (MD, 1970)—Humanitarian Service
- Ms. Leonor A. Tsai (BS Nursing, 1967)—Humanitarian Service
- Mr. Michael M. Coroza (AB Philosophy, 1990)—Humanities
- Mr. Antonio S. Adriano (BFA Interior Design, 1972)—Interior Design
- Justice Teresita V. Diaz-Baldos (AB English, 1966; LLB, 1970)—Law / Justice
- Atty. Rosario T. Setias-Reyes (AB Political Science, 1969; LLB, 1973)—Law / Justice
- Mr. Cesar Y. Apolinario (AB Communication Arts, 1998)—Media
- Mr. Lucien C. Dy Tioco (AB Journalism, 1985)—Media
- Fr. Leo Nilo C. Mangussad (BM, 1984)—Performing Arts
- Prof. Gerardo C. Janairo (MS Chemistry, 1982)—Science / Technology
- Archbishop Bernardito C. Auza (LPh, 1981; LSTh, 1986; MA Education, 1986)—Service to the Church
- Mr. Michael Alexander C. Ocampo (AB Communication Arts, 1987)—Visual Arts
- Engr. Albert Joseph C. Emas (BS Mechanical Engineering, 2005)—Young Thomasian Achiever
- Ms. Rubilen D. Amit (BS Accountancy, 2002)—Young Thomasian Achiever (Special Award)
- Lasala Family—Outstanding Thomasian Family (Special Award)
TOTAL Award is the highest honor bestowed by the University upon the Thomasian alumni, in recognition of their significant and exemplary contribution to the society and the Church.
A TOTAL awardee must: (1) be an alumnus or alumna of UST; (2) have outstanding achievements and exceptional contributions to his or her industry or specialization; (3) have earned peer recognition in his or her filed of expertise; (4) have exemplary moral and Christian conduct, (5) have loyalty to the University, and (6) have significant contributions to UST’s achievement of its mission and vision.
The same criteria apply for the Young Thomasian Achiever, who should not be more than 35 years old. Meanwhile, for the Outstanding Thomasian Family, all members must have earned their respective baccalaureate and/or graduate degrees from UST.
All of the awardees were nominated either nominated by their respective deans, principals or regents; any administrator, faculty member, support staff or student; any recognized UST alumni association; any recognized Thomasian alumni chapters or groups; any former recipient of the TOTAL Award; any Thomasian alumnus or alumna; any accredited professional organization and its affiliates; or any reputable institution.
The nominees went through an extensive selection process conducted by the screening committee, which determined the candidates for final review by the USTAAI Board Trustees and for approval by the Rector.
The conferment of the awards started in 1993 by then UST Public Affairs and Alumni Office. In 1999, the UST Alumni Association, Inc. was tasked to continue the giving of the awards up to this time.